Best Types of Dermal Filler
Dermal fillers, also called facial fillers, can magically turn back the clock and diminish all signs of aging. They smooth out wrinkles and smile lines, plump thinning lips, lift the eyebrows, and erase undereye circles, making you look a few years younger.
Many people prefer this procedure over the surgical ones because it is less-invasive—injected into the face in less than an hour—and requires little to no downtime. For most patients, the worst side effects are swelling, mild bruising, and redness, which are all temporary.
However, dermal fillers do not last forever. Sometimes, the effects go away after six months, depending on the type of filler used and where it was injected. To give you a head start on these little magic potions, here are the most commonly used dermal fillers today:
- Juvederm comes in different forms, which are designed to be used in specific areas of the face.
- Juvederm Voluma XC is meant to enhance the contours of the cheeks, which may have naturally flattened due to aging. It is also the filler of choice to smoothen the nasolabial folds (a.k.a. smile lines).
- Juvederm Ultra XC is for plumping the lips, while Juvederm Volbella XC is used to soften the lip lines. Although not totally painless, most of these fillers are infused with anesthetic lidocaine to minimize discomfort after the procedure.
For the longevity of its effect, Juvederm can last up to 18 months, depending on the consistency of the filler used. The body will naturally absorb the material, thus gradually diminishing its effects as well.
Like Juvederm, Restylane comes in different types of products to treat various problem areas. The original one aims to smooth out facial folds and wrinkles and can also be used to plump up thin lips.
- Restylane Lyft, formerly known as Perlane-L, is a thicker gel used to correct severe wrinkles and volume loss in the cheeks. It is also an FDA-approved product to add fullness to the back of the hands.
- Restylane Silk is mainly used to augment the lips, as it is made with smaller particles than the other Restylane products.
Its effect lasts anywhere between six to 18 months. Dermal injected in the cheeks can last up to a year and up to six months for injections in wrinkles with Restylane Lyft. For the lips, results may also last up to six months with Restylane Silk.
This is an approved cosmetic filler used by any patients who want to plump up their cheeks and sunken areas of the face, but it is not meant to be injected into the lips or areas around the eyes. Its effects are said to last up to two years after the first treatment session is completed.
Radiesse is the filler used to treat moderate to severe facial creases. It is also the product used to add volume to the cheeks and other areas of the face, except the lips. Its effects can last for more than a year.
Dermal fillers come in different forms, but the key to a successful and natural-looking effect is to use the correct filler for the right patient in the right amount. Like other beauty trends, with dermal fillers, less is definitely more. Call Daniel Man, M.D. today for expert advice on the right dermal filler for you!